Many indoor growers prefer coco coir over the peat moss. Growers are crazy about this growing medium. If you are new and do not have knowledge about this coco coir growing medium than read this entire page to know better about it in simple words.
What is coco coir?
Coco coir is made from the coconut (a by-product of coconut). It is firstly used in Holland to grow plants then after the huge success whole world starts using it for indoor growing. Years ago it was used to make ropes and doormats
What are the benefits of using coco coir?
- WATER HOLDING ABILITIES: Coco coir is well known for its water holding capabilities. When we grow plants in pots, we use soil or coco coir. Plants need moisture to grow healthy so we need to make the soil wet. The drawback of growing in soil is it is not able to hold the water for a long time. Soil can easily get dry especially in hot weather conditions. but on the other hand side, the coco coir holds the water for a long time even after draining the excess of it. Actually, when you wet the coir it remains moist for several hours. This locks the moisture in roots which prevents them from getting dry.
If accidentally you give more water to your plant, the coir will allow it to drain right away by holding the right percentage of it.
- NEUTRAL pH LEVEL: Grow mediums like peat moss are acidic in nature, therefore, you need to balance their pH level by adding lime before use. Peat moss pH level is 3.3 to 4 which is acidic. The pH level of coco coir is in between 5.2 to 6.8 which is ideal for growing plants.
As we know it is derived from coconuts and the coconut plant is a rich source of mineral like potassium, iron, copper etc.
The Coir is able to store more nutrient than soil or other growing mediums. If you are growing in the hydroponic system and using coco coir than you need to think about the nutritional solution twice. Because the nutrient holding abilities of coir hold the much of nutrients so do not give an overdose of it to plants. some minerals are already present in it so try not to mix them into the water while preparing the nutrient solution.
3. USE IT AS A POTTING MEDIUM: Coir is available in ready to use form. You can order bricks, or bags of coir according to your choice. It can be easily expanded up to 6 times its size by just adding water in it. Suppose if by mistake you add more water do not worry it will drain the excess amount of water.
Even if the coco coir is looking dry it still retains a good amount of moisture in its fiber-like structure. You can mix it with other growing medium for example perlite and potting soil. Fill the coco coir loosely into the pot to make it easy for plants to take enough of oxygen.
Using Coco Coir in a Hydroponic Growing System?
Hydroponic coco coir is different from ordinary coir. Choose which is specially made for soilless growing systems.
The second step is rinsing the coir in fresh water because at the time of manufacturing it contains many salts which are not good for plants. If you do not remove them by rinsing the coir, they will disturb the pH level of your nutrient solution and inhibits the absorption of nutrients.
After rinsing the coir will clump then use your hands to lose it before planting it into the pots.
Hydroponic nutrient manufacturers also make nutrients specially designed for coir growing medium. Search for them and use them if they are available near your location. If they are hard to find you can use the normal nutrients too.
Coir provides nutrients to your plant at a slow rate. It holds the later required nutrients in it for a long time.
Those who manufacture or sell coir also manufacture or sell coir specific nutrients
NOTE: When you use your coir for many times and want to through it. use once again by mixing it into the outdoor garden soil. This will increase the nutrient holding power of soil and also improve the moisture content in it.
CONS OF USING COIR
The grow medium also has some drawbacks like others.
- Chemically treated: Some manufacturers chemically treat the coir at the end of the making process to kill the unwanted bacteria. Heat treated coir is best to use than chemically treated.
- HIGH SALT: Coir has high salt content which will disturb the nutrient balance. It is advised to rinse them thoroughly before use.
BENEFITS OF REUSING COIR
There are many benefits of reusing coir to your plants and pocket. Below are the main benefits of the reuse of coir.
- Saves your hard-earned money
- Saves the environment
- It also saves your time and labor cost.
Reusing the coir means you do not need to buy it once again. This means a huge saving in the first step of just thinking about its re-use. You also by reusing it, you do not need to go to the market and find suitable coir for your garden. As a gardener, you know the importance of time. This way you know to save more than just time. You give your body less physical and mental stress by not doing unnecessary tasks.
According to the personal opinion of expert grower’s coco coir are a better choice than peat-based material and Rockwool cubes. Coir is an environment-friendly grow medium. Reusing coco is a nice move towards eco-friendly farming.
If you do not want it to use in your hydroponic system. Use it in the outside garden or mix it with the potting soil.
We hope today you learn some valuable information about the coco coir and its uses. If still have any doubt contact us. We will answer your all questions as soon as possible.